View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Pretty sad. The "average" citizen who doesn't fish, crab, or hunt could care less about Marylands DNR. Now, they have lost respect even among those of us they impact.
Sounds like a formula for disaster. It's a shame the political appointies who are picked to run DNR can't see this fact.
The bar has been set so low for our representatives; it's getting hard to be disappointed anymore. I'm starting to expect incompetience.
5th (Marty)

Marty I'm glad you said it first. I write, email and fax my representatives and members of key committees all the time. The responses, and lack of responses I get is absolutely appalling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Guy View Post
While I'm pretty disappointed at the recent vote to increase commercial catch and the limits on C&R, I will throw this out there. The DNR is more than the heads of each division or office or whatever they are called. I've interacted with a lot of good people at the DNR who have done out of there way to give me and my colleagues a hand with their research. Many people have donated their time and allowed me to borrow equipment in order to do ecological research intended on helping the natural resources of the state. I am not suggesting a free pass for the agency, I only ask that when you consider not buying a license from the state this year, that there are a lot of hard working, honest, well intentioned people that will be impacted. However, for all employee, it's the nature of the game when you work for a government agency, but just something to think about.
Bug Guy I agree to a point....most if not all of the DNR police I've encountered over the years have been professional and usually pretty personable. My uncle has worked for DNR for years and I know the wide range of programs they run and the amount of dedication many put into their jobs.

Unfortunately though, the reputation of the entire agency will be based upon its weakest link, which in this case is the most important link; the "executive management" of DNR.

The best way to effect change in the department is to start at the top and hold them accountable for their actions or in many cases, inaction.