View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggydaddy View Post
Thanks Fish Nut.
IMHO B Faithful has a good idea with slot fish limit, it would allow for fish to be taken while protecting the large spawning cows, on the other hand as you mentioned other states need to come in line with lower limits, that in its self would be a challenge.
I should note that I dont support a slot that has an upper limit as I believe in the preservations of the opportunity for records and tournaments, which are a large draw to recreational fishing too. Large "citation" fish make up a small portion of the migratory fish harvested anyhow. I think a no take slot that would target allow the a higher percentage of spawners through would work. Given that the VAST majority of migratory fish harvested in 2009 (by far) were between 34" and 40" long, a slot that targets that range would be most appropriate. The difficult things managers would have to look at is, what slot would work best at protecting the spawn while still providing for enough opportunity for anglers to harvest a fish. If that opportunity gets too low, interest in the season may dry up losing the economic benefit of the season. It would be a balance left up to the managers and scientists.