View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichitt View Post
Weeds out the lurkers, I mean lookers.
Just another example of how upside down my thinking is as compared to all the "smart" MBA type guys/gals that sit down and decide the prices to this type of event.
Remember, they have a lot of venders at the show who sell things other than boats. Lets suppose I was in the market for boat shoes, dock lines, an embroidered hat, foul weather gear, or even electronics like cd player, VHF radio, or depth finder. If the wife and I go to the show (17x2) and pay to park (10) the total is $44 to get in the show.
If I add that cost to a new pair of docksiders, those are some expensive shoes (or dock lines etc.).
With the present economy, I would have thought they would be encourging more "lookers" instead of "weeding out".
But what the heck do I know; look at the state of the economy and see where all those "smart" people have gotten us!!!
I guess I have to go to the boat show to look at boats, the local dealers I grew up with have all gone or are in dire straits (Jenkins Marine, Glen Burnie: Florida Marine, Pasadena: Smith Marine, Arnold ...all out of business; and A.M./P.M. Marine has no new boats in their showroom or outside on their lot).
Perhaps next year, the boat show should raise their entry price to an even $100 to keep the "lookers" and other rif raft like me out.
I guess I'll have to go somewhere like Marty's Bait and Tackle since he seems to appreciate it when I spend 40-50 bucks in his store. Or, did Jim start charging admission too.
5th (Marty)