Thread: Poachers nabbed
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 01:45 PM

Reds; I can only assume (and you know what they say about assuming) that you are a commercial waterman. I feel your pain. I am all pissed about PSCR and it is only a hobby of mine to fish. If fishing were my livelyhood, and someone was trying to either reduce it (as MSSA has called for), or shut down (as many rec's have called for), I too would be pi$$ed and very angry.

But, I think if you channeled your anger toward those that are causing the problem (poachers-both rec and comm), you would have more credibility. It does nothing to critisize Greg's boat. It's a wasted effort.

However, if I was the head of the Md Watermen (Larry Simms?), I would be calling for the strictest punishment possible for those who set those nets. If it was MSSA or CCA (which I personally think is a stretch), then those organizations should be banned from future fishing negotiations. And, if we find out they were set by commercial netters, I (Larry Simms) would be calling for the culprits (if found) to lose their gear (boat included), their liscense, and be banned from the water as a way to make a living.
Calling for such strict reprocussions on the poachers might stop the movement to ban ALL netting in the Chesapeake Bay.

I'll say this so you don't have to; I hope the above doesn't come across as "the pot calling the kettle black". I know I am guilty of calling out Brandon at every opportunity because of what he did to PSCR. And, I get the fact that you want to call out Greg because he endorses the MSSA position on restricting the net quota, however, you now have a bigger problem on your hands (a call for a complete ban on nets).

Encourage Larry Simms to work with DNR to remove all illegal nets from the bay in order to keep commercial watermen fishing and providing for their families.

I hope you take this in the "spirit" that it was intended. I can't say "I know how you feel", because it's not my "way of life" that's being threatened.

I believe serious reprocussions are going to be announced next year after DNR "reviews" the stock assessment in 2011. Both rec and comm are going to take a hit. Comm's, as well as rec's, need to get their house in order to help preserve their opportunity to catch these magnificent fish.

5th (Marty)