Thread: Holy Crap!!
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 05:31 PM

Again; I can live with either option. I am no longer associated with a charter (as mate). I am strictly a rec angler, and what I say is strictly opinion.

1) I was (and still am) confused as to why the specific group who initiated and got behind PSCR restrictions (the Md Charter Boat Assoc.) and testified so strongly against it; now wants to impose a slot limit (C/R) on trophy fish.

2) Yes, it was Brian Keene who testified (on record) that all the slot fish the charters returned to the water, died. A panel of other charter captains, commercial fishermen, and rec. organization (MSSA and maybe CCA also), sat there and NOONE disputed this comment. PSCR was vilified. I had to sit and listen to stories about trollers dragging the cows through the water and stressing them to the point that they possibly released their eggs, or even died.
Now, the MCBA wants to C/R trophies 36 inches to 40 inches. Why?

3) I truly believe that most (maybe 95%, with cold water) survive C/R. Therefore, I think for the sake of conservation, the slot option will benefit the rock population.

4) I don't want to get into a pissin contest over this, because as I said, I can live with either option. I just scratch my head and wonder why? Perhaps, the MCBA believes that all those 38-39 inch fish we caught last year have grown another couple inches and we will see many more over 40 fish this year. Perhaps, the MCBA was afraid that even more restrictions were coming down the pike, and this was a way to "get ahead" of more restrictions. I don't know.

5) If the slot option is adopted, I do fully intend to ask DNR to "scope" the rod restriction for PSCR. DNR will have, in effect, supported C/R as a CONSERVATION tool.

These types of topics allow "speculation" to run rampant on fishing boards. My original post was to inform those on CBA that a new option was being thrown into the mix at what I consider, a late date. I had been lead to believe that the 36" and over was going to be the option presented. I guess I should know by now that "it ain't over till it's over"; and anything can change in Md. if you have somebodies ear.

the end
5th