View Single Post
Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 PM

Default Blind Squirrel finds nuts ?

Not much to read during the winter months, so I thought I'd post SOMETHING

I hope it's true that "even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally". That's because I'm slightly blind for about 3 weeks
(14 business days, so they say)

I went to the eye doctor yesterday and after the examination, I went looking through the store for new frames. The frames I have are about 8 years old
I keep getting the glass replaced with a new prescription, but keeping the frames.
This isn't so bad when I went to Lenscrafters. They would do the exam, and 30 min to an hour later have my new prescription in my old frames.

However, last time I went to Lenscrafters, I had a problem with their service. They installed the new prescription, and I returned in 45 minutes to find they had screwed up, and I had to wait another 45 min for them to remake the prescription.

Hey, that's fine; I'm retired, I have time for them to "get it right". I went back 45 min later and they fit the frames to my face, and I said, "these aren't right". They did some more face adjusting and said that should be better. It wasn't.

They weren't off terribly, but just not "sharp" like a new prescription should be. They called out the optometrist and he got a little indignant, said the prescription was correct

The people at Lenscrafters said because it was a new prescription, it might take a while to get accustom to them. I had my doubts, but took them.

My mistake. I ***** and moan and hold most everyone accountable these days. I should have returned and demanded satisfaction, but I didn't. Like I said, they were close.

Most notably, when watching TV, if small lettering came across the screen, I had to tilt my head down for a better view, and even then it wasn't "perfect". Distance, wasn't a problem.

Long story short; I went to "Peepers" eye care this time. Beside, they carry Maui Jim's and I needed a new prescription in them as well (for fishing).

Turns out, Lenscrafters started my progressive lens too high in my glasses, hence me tilting my head down. Additionally, the prescription was off by .5. I guess this is acceptable, but not perfect.

So I'm in Peepers after the exam and begin to look for frames (remember the old ones are 8 yrs old)

I ask which section is the "men's" frames. Wouldn't you know it, I'm told all frames are unisex now, there is no men's or women's section. I say, "Oh, I should have guessed" I'd find a frame similar to mine, pick it up, only to find it had purple sides, or some "frilly" connection from the side piece to the front of the frame.

Well, I didn't find frames like I had ( I guess pajama boy and I have different requirements). The girl says, I think we carried your frames in 2000-2008. I said, "Hey, I still have suits and ties from that era"

Soooo, I'm still using my frames. 14 business days until they are ready:eek
I have no regular "backups". I did have two sets of Maui Jims. I sent one pair away for new prescriptions ($600) and I will be wearing the other set for normal everyday wear.

So, if you see me at PSG flea market looking like Stevie Wonder, or in a movie theater wearing sunglasses, don't make fun.

I dropped a total of $869 for glasses. Imagine the rods and reels I could have bought, if I had only kept "tipping" my head
5th