View Single Post
Old 12-16-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
This is not meant to be a smartass question. I really am trying to put all the pieces together and come up with an accurate answer. I'm not posting this on TF because it would cause 15 pages of turmoil. I'm optimistic that on CBA we can get a couple varying opinions and perhaps figure out what DNR and the Atlantic Fisheries Commision are thinking.

This is based TOTALLY on my perspective. I realize that it is biased, which is why I need other opinions.

First, lets start with pre season. DNR adopted restrictions which was suposed to reduce the stress and mortality on breeding cows. I believe the "effort" was dramaticly reduced because of the restrictions. I didn't see nearly the number of boats fishing that I have in other years. Additionally, the rockfish never showed up in large numbers during the "normal" fishing period. Some say the fish arrived early, and we just missed them.

Second, when DNR released the findings of the YOY, we were told that it was once again below average; but not to worry because the stock was healthy. In fact, it was so healthy that Md. had to spend a considerable amount of time contemplating on whether to vote IN FAVOR of increasing the coastal netting quota.

Lastly, I would say the late fall run never really materialized. In years past, I could count on six, seven, or eight rockfish on an average late fall trip. This year, I (and my friends) had a much more difficult time catching two or three large fish per trip. I believe the "take" was dramaticly reduced this fall.

So let's summerize, Less fish were caught in the spring season than in previous years. The stock is in a healthy shape. Less fish were caught in the late fall run.

So why wasn't the season extended for an additional two weeks? Is DNR telling us something by NOT extending the season? Are they saying that the stock IS in trouble?

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad the season wasn't extended. I think there is a problem with the stock. But why would DNR tell us one thing and act in an opposite way? I think the rockfish take by recreational anglers was down this year. This may be due to both restrictions and nature. But if the take was down and the stock is fine, why not extend the season?

How am I looking at this wrong? If we have another banner year like we had two years ago (and DNR extended the season), will DNR again keep the season open so we can continue to "harvest" more large cows?

What's your opinion; be respectfull.
5th (Marty)

p.s. I didn't include the comm. harvest because I don't know enough about it.
I believe the season was extended 2 years ago because the rec quota was not even close to being caught. Why? One reason was thought to be the down economy and high fuel prices kept rec fishermen from fishing.