View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 AM

I wish I had a "chrystal ball" that would explain what happened to the rockfish population. Either the stock is in good condition, and they aren't here; or the stock is in serious trouble.
Last Spring, all I heard was that the spawn was going to be late because of all the cold and snow. Then when the spawn didn't show up during the regular time (mid March-May); the theory was that they came in EARLY and spawned. The yoy index doesn't seem to support this.
Now, for the fall run; the theory is that the water temps are not cold enough to have driven the stock down the coast and into the bay. They say the majority of the fish are still off the coast and headed this way.
Even last winter, the stock didn't act normally. Reports I heard were that the stock remained out past the 3 mile limit and many boats had to resort to illegally chashing them offshore.
I really don't know what has happened. Is the stock sound and they have changed their pattern? Or, is the stock in serious trouble, as the yoy might indicate?

Does someone know how the fishing was all along the coast this year? Are the northern states having a banner year, or are their numbers depressed like ours?

Dumbfounded, 5th (Marty)