View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 PM

I'm not as brilliant as most, and by no means an expert, but light tackle is whatever works for you. When I first started jigging I was using an ugly stick and 30 lb braid and was thrilled...then I moved to lighter weight rods such as carrot stix and 15-20 lb braid. Now I don't jig with anything but a custom rod, Medium Fast and 10 lb braid after realizing the majority of these fish with the drags you can apply to them can't break 10 lb braid even if you put some good heat on 'em. I guess the better I get (and I still only catch 3-4 fish a year), the lighter the tackle I use. In high current situations, I use some heavier stuff, but when the fish swim with the current, my lighter stuff just cant handle it.

when I jig tuna, if they are 300-500 lb bluefin, I'm using a 500 g rod with an avet and 100 lb braid, when they are smaller I use a 350 or 250 g and 50 lb braid...I guess experience and the situation dictate. But hell, like I said, I"m not a Tidalflush or CBDangler expert, I just learned to fish on the world wide interweb