View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 PM

Default 10/3 first topwater trip in new skiff

Got a new skiff in August to use as a river boat and days like today really make me love it. First trip this fall using strictly topwater lures, a smack-it jr to be exact. Worked a very fishy creek off of an eastern shore river from 5:45 to 7:15. Worked several areas but the most productive was a stretch by the mouth where there are lots of fallen trees and rocky shoreline. There was a huge bird fishing the shore and eating fish that took 3 or 4 tries for him to get down.

First fish on hit the lure a couple of times before he nailed it and started peeling drag. Nice 20+" fish released. I admittedly popped some wood and it must have thrown my cast off, next thing I caught was a tree. I forgot how nice small boats were, I was able to reel myself to the downed tree and get my lure back. The rest of the night wasn't hot and heavy, the mosquitoes were biting more than the fish but I still managed some blow ups and follows and even caught a few more fish in the 16-19" range.

All in all a great night. Geese flying over head, rock busting on topwater and a flat river. Man I love October!