View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
So the story goes:
I have to thank Rob (fish nut) for introducing me to yet another species of fish I need to chase. These spanish aren't here very long so Lou and I decided to split the cost of "gearing up" for them. Lou bought the planers (four #2's and I bought the lures (5 drones). I eventually bought two #1's as well.
We have had moderate success with blues outnumbering spanish by about 3:1 in our catch rate. Today, Allen (just chillin) wanted to see what it was all about.
We left SP at 6 am and headed to BPL. We had another boat of friends with us so I told them to check deep water (60-100+) and we would check shallow (20-50). Allen couldn't believe you could catch anything running at 6.4 on the gps. No sooner did he express this, when a small (16in) rock hit one of the drones. He said "you gotta be s*ittin' me". I laughed and said, we might need to speed up.
We have been seeing pods of bait with birds overhead and fish breaking on previous days, but today was really quiet. We picked up one single spanish and it perked our interest. We searched for birds, but nothing was happening. About an hour later (and several twizzlers) we saw some breaking fish. Allen had asked me if spanish "school" like rock and blues. I told him I didn't know enough about them, but I figured they traveled in small groups of 3, 4, or 5; as I had seen them "leaping" in pairs or threes.
Well when we approached the breakers, you could look over the side of the boat and see spanish in a feeding frenzy just ripping through the bait.
Two lines went down and we each brought a nice spanish to the boat. The breakers would only be "up" for about 5 minutes (enough for a single pass). We scanned the water and every 10-15 minutes, they would erupt again. Sometimes we let the other boat "skirt" the breakers, and other times we took a pass through.
We had the fish all to ourselves. No other private boats or charters seemed to be in the area. I'm not sure how many spanish our friends picked up, we left earlier then they did (it was hot today around noon).
I took three and Allen kept three. Mine hit the grill as the wife pulled in from work.
Looks like a good way to start September. Lets hope that "Earl" doesn't cause too much of a problem. It feels a bit funny not to be sitting in a dove field popping those little bastards that dart and dash when you pop up from your shooting stool. But, I could get used to this spanish thing.
Thanks to Jim at "Marty's" for helping with selection of lures and suggestions for the spread.
5th (Marty)
Hi Marty! Good job on the macs. Michael has been making (forgive the spelling) caviche with them. Fish cooked in lemon and lime juice/ no heat basically. It is his new favorite thing. Come on down and he'll make you some! Hope all is well!! Christy