View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie View Post
Spot77, I too am looking to get a new system. The set up West Marine has for like $79.00 doesn't appear to be bad but watch the speakers. I pulled a speaker off my boat Sat. and found it to be 60 watts. So 60 watts X 4 speakers is 240 watts from the stereo itself. Doubt West Marine systems are that powerfull. Their speakers are only 25-30 watts each. My stereo is inside the cabin but two speakers are out in the open near the stern. They are the ones that go bad. I can't see why you need a "marine" type stereo but the exposed speakers should be water resistant/waterproof.
Another old thread, but I'll share my experience so far.

I bought a cheap, made in China off name unit from ebay for like $60. It came with 2 cheap speakers and a remote. I ditched the speakers for a pair of JBL's (marine grade) I had here.

The unit fit in my waterproof case from the old unit perfectly, and the wiring was simple.

Since my boat is just a little open bow kind of boat I don't need to worry about pushing too much power to get good volume. It's plenty loud at 25 watts and the clarity is pretty decent. The speakers I'm using aren't great, but I'm sure they're much better than the flimsy things that came with the unit.

I'm pretty impressed with the remote. I can sit on the back of the boat and it works the whole 2.2 feet to the unit.