View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo1 View Post
Steve....by far my favorite setup is a 6'3 med action St. Croix avid with Xtra fast tip...thats the rod I used to catch the 51" er in Nov...it can handle the heat....!!!
I agree with Jamie. I don't usually use Med Heavy rods for jigging stripers. They don't get too big for a stiff-tipped med-action rod. No matter the blank quality, sensitivity is basically a result of weight and action. The faster the action and lighter the rod, the quicker you feel the strike.

Even though I use casting rods, like Steve and others, I still prefer shorter rods. The trade off in a short rod is less casting distance, but to my thinking, the shorter the rod the faster the strike transmission. I don't get in too many jigging situations where I need to make long casts.

I also think that the farther up the rod you can get a finger the better the sensitivity. Not necessarily because it gets you closer to the fish, but because it moves up the fulcrum of the lever, so any force is transmitted more quickly. So I don't like any cork, foam, or whatever in front of the reel.

I've come to this thinking in the past three years, used to didn't think it mattered.

"Catch & Release - A picture is worth a thousand fish"