View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 08:22 AM

If you are practicing for the first time, don't worry about "where the fish are", worry about "where the other boats are". In my opinion (and I had to learn too, so I'm not being critical), I'd just go find some channel edges to the south where there are not a lot of boats. It'll be a much less stressful day for you and your boy. Trust me, the joy of one nice fish can quickly be forgotten when you are dodging boats and dealing with tangled lines the rest of the day.

If it's nice this Saturday, it'll be reasonably packed out there. This time of year you have casters and trollers all running around each other - and within the trollers, people pulling bucktails, hoses, spoons, etc. without boards and others starting to break out the stuff for the big guys.

If you are really serious, I'd pull the boat down to PLO - bigger water and the big fish are around down there. Buzz's marina would be the place to go and get intel.

However, to answer your question - in my limited experiences, the channel edges to the south have always been a place that produced. I know that sounds general and vague, but success has been spread out for us. The 20-30 foot area north of James Island - which is no secret - holds fish in the spring, but I've never gotten them there in the fall. Look for bait and fish on the meter (that's always been a better indicator). If you see Gannets (which I haven't heard any reports of, but I'm sure they'll be around soon), go towards them. If you get one, circle around and hit that spot again. We'd get them occasionally going across the channel when there is room to do so. My opinion (and again, I'm no expert), is that it's still a bit warm to be trolling for the big stuff. But go for it and let us know what you find! Good luck.

Cheers,

Bob