View Single Post
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Marty..............I understand your viewpoint, however I still believe that the MSSA is still the strongest voice that Maryland anglers have. David Smith appears to be trying to make changes that will make a difference. As with any organization, "cleanup" takes time. Here is my understanding as to how things went down behind closed doors. There was tremendous pressure for two issues that "we" as rec anglers were adamently opposed:
1) day restrictions and 2) a "one" rod per angler limit. Very powerful voices were even trying to convince DNR that trolling was not "sporting" while C&R.

My understanding is that the MSSA did not budge on its view until it was told by the head of DNR that changes were going to be imposed and that it would be prudent to make a compromise that would best represent its members. The "powers that be" were hell bent on enforcing the day restrictions. The only reason that day restrictions were not enforced is the MSSA. The MSSA refused to negotiate on this matter. The rod limitations proposed as 2 rods per angler was offered as a compromise in order to fight off the day restrictions. I don't like any of it either, but when politics is involved, we all lose.

I renewed my membership and will watch for positive change in the coming year. I WILL NOT be renewing my CHESAPEAKE BAY FOUNDATION contributions. Do a little research and see where the CBF stood on the issue of C&R. You may be very surprised. In my opinion, The CBF wants our dirty polluting boats off the water. Make some calls. See what you think.

Mark

Last edited by mlag; 01-24-2010 at 08:43 AM.