View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilK999 View Post
Cut the plastic on the boat today and I am finished waxing it. Hope it is splashed tomorrow and I am fishing Saturday if the weather cooperates. Hoping to find some gannets everybody is talking about with some striped fish under them.

My question comes that I won a Penn Downrigger on ebay and not quite sure where the best place to mount it. I am leaning towards the port side of the boat juist behind the support for my hard top. My thinking is it will keep that deep rods clear of anything up in the water column rods.

But Skip said something about they can get caught in your prop if they are to far forward and you make to sharp of a turn. Any other opinions or options before I go drilling holes in my gunnel

Also can it be at a 90 degree angle to the boat or should it be placed on an angle?
I would also take into consideration which side of the boat you are most comfortable looking at.

Maybe you could have someone hold the downrigger in the different places that you're considering, then pretend you get a hit. How accesible is it? Can you see the rod easily from where it will be mounted?

Can't even guess about the angle.

When all else fails, listen to Skip. Hell listen to him before anything fails.