View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 PM

when she was about 4,5, my daughter set her rod down on a pier. forgot about it, then scraped her foot on it while walking and put the hook in deep.

she was suddenly screaming bloody murder. at first, i didn't know what was going on and scooped her up. which snapped the line tight and the screaming got even worse. then i was a little jittery i guess and snagged on the line and snapped it tight again.

she's steady screaming horrible and i realize what's going on. i figured it would be an hour more of this if we hurried off to the walk-in. or,...

i held her ankle firm. pushed against the shank to unhook the barb, same as loosening from a piece of fabric etc, and removed it. mentally, not an easy thing for me to do. i did the best i could. but i could distinctly feel some tissue rip as i pulled it out.

since then, i've wondered if i would be able to perform that same service if i hooked myself. but i was sincerely disappointed when my neighbor let his wife play with a hook in his hand for two hours rather than just call me.