View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako mike View Post
Marty as you know with the trade I'm in I am a tool junkie! All the years mating a captaining offshore boats I always insisted that my mates carried a "mate saver". Yes they only cut mono or braid but if they got wrapped up while leadering a tuna or Marlin they could cut the leader and free themselves before the fish sounded and if they were still attached a certain death! If a hook has passed though a hand, finger, etc. it is best to cut the lure off in this case a stinger hook, and tape the lure to whatever extremity you can to secure it from causing more damage to the wound. If you were to have bolt cutters with corrosion x on them chances of contaminating wound is even greater or worse yet making it larger trying to cut hook. If hook is through a artery or vein you will not even know it until hook is cut and pulled out and started bleeding and at that point may not be controllable. Safety at sea is a must attend course that anyone operating a vessel should attend. Yes you are only in the bay, but with a major injury a human being can bleed out in only seconds. And if you still want to purchase bolt cutters for an emergency buy quality ones, not harbor freight and if you store them in ziplock even with corrosion x it will speed up the corrosion process!
Good to know, thanks!