View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Two years ago - I would have agreed with you.

Now , I have no trouble with barbless hooks. In fact - once kill season starts , I leave my PSCR lures out - as is. They're catching fine - why change ?

I like how the shads have more action without a stinger hook.

Few tips - if you have knock downs but fish misses , try bumping speed up about 1/2 knot. Yes - increase the speed a touch. Going too slow let's fish hit but not get hooked.

Limber tip rods help keep tension on the hook and keeping rod at a 10 to 11 o'clock position is key. Avoid dropping rod tip fast when pumping a fish - this allows slack.

Once hooked up - slow the boat to about 2 knots. This takes some pressure off the hook. Often a barely hooked fish will get away if you maintain speed.
Good for fish and the angler to slow a touch.

Be sure to sharpen your hooks - even on new lures. Few come from store sharp enough ( IMHO ). I've bought some that had mushed points - likely from hanging on display rack. Even in packages - new lures need a kiss from a file.

If using umbrellas - accept some fish will hit the hookless teasers. Nothing you can do there - other then not use them.

Believe me or not but a barbless hook goes into a fish easier. It is thinner then a barbed hook.

Keep drags tight - should be tough to pull line off reel by hand. If 30 to 34 inchers are making drag scream - IMHO - too loose. A few clicks is OK but not ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

You can also use 7 or 8 inch shads. Just cut 1 or 2 inches from a 9 incher. Some guys even use regular 6 inchers but I like a large profile lure.

Be sure you comb the hair out carefully. Matted parachutes do not get hit as much and if they do - matted hair can cause misses.

Stingers or not - you'll miss some fish , just part of the game.