Thread: Holy Crap!!
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shore Thing View Post
Not saying to do away with recreational rockfishing. Just saying if you really want to help the fishery recreation fishermen should concede more. The charter industry is in a tuff spot within the industry and I see why you tAke the stand you do. Charter fishing in my opinion is a commercial fishery subject to recreational regulations. We could go back and forth for hours regarding financial impacts but I'm not suggesting any drastic moves to impact business as I really don't think the fishery is in such bad shape.
I dont think the fishery is in dire straights either. However I do hold the ASMFC accountable to ensure we are not over-fished. I am hopeful that the 25% reduction on the SSB will be effective.

I must note that I take the position of recreational fishing ahead of charter fishing. I view charter fishing as facilitating fishing for oneself. We are hired to enable people to fish for themselves, not catch the fish for them. We can instruct and teach but they catch the fish. Also, though I have a limited entry license, I am against guide/charter licenses from being limited entry. I think anyone who takes the time to become USCG certified, buys the licenses, safety gear, insurance (I think there should be an insurance requirement by law in order to protect passengers -think you might like that ), and registers their trips and catch should be able to offer for-hire services. I am a free market guy and it would provide better public access to our resources.

As far as rockfish in the commercial market in Maryland goes, they make up a small percentage of the overall landing value according to NOAA. As far as actually MD harvested seafood goes, we are typically 85% or so non-finfish dependent with crabs, oysters, clams, etc. driving our harvest value. Even still, the vast majority of our seafood industry fincancially is driven by imported seafood. Seafood distributors, grocery stores, and restaurants have plenty of other product to supply them even if rockfish was declared a gamefish, which I dont think is necessary either. However I do believe protecting individual access should priority over protecting special privileges.

Last edited by B-Faithful; 02-11-2015 at 07:31 PM.