View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 10:17 AM

Pushing for payback for the sake of getting even, will only divide the user group at a time when all should stick together.[/QUOTE]

Now we should all work together. Good luck with that.
I don't think the rec's are the ones you need to worry about. I think the genie is out of the bottle. Now that DNR is going to take a close look at the whole fishery; my opinion is that more restristions are coming next year, and they will include charters as well. I certainly understand how stressed your business is in this economy; and I feel for you. I just don't understand why the MCBA asked DNR to LOOK at the PSCR fishing and complain that we were harassing those prespawn fish. All this while KNOWING that your business is partially based on KILLING those same prespawn fish two weeks later. DNR has you on record stating that if just one prespawn female is harassed and doesn't drop her millions of eggs, the fishery is impacted. They also have one of your representatives (Keene I think), on record stating that when we had the slot limit, all those slot fish he tossed back died.
Now in the name of conservation, what do you think DNR is going to do in the future? They can't expand C/R; the eggs are in jepordy. They can't adopt a slot limit; all the throwbacks die. What's left, NO TARGETING STRIPERS UNTIL MAY 1st.
I can see them proposing this. Then everyone gets involved (charters, MSSA, RFA, etc.) and another compromise comes about. It will say no planner boards (or reduced length), continuation of only six rods into the season, and circle hooks all year for bait.
All this will increase stocks; and after all, this is what you advocated. I may be wrong, but this is like a chess match; you have to try to see what your opponent (DNR) is going to do several moves ahead. Unfortunatley; the MCBA has been playing checkers, not chess.
Only time will tell. 5th (Marty)