View Single Post
Old 07-25-2015, 12:46 PM

Default Insurance Coverage

As some of you know, opening day was eventful for me and my crew. I was coming out of Rockhold Creek. It was just before daybreak and I followed the charter boats out past the jetty. I opened it up to 17mph (the speed most charters run out of Deale). I told my crew to be on the lookout for the white clam markers just outside Deale (the winter ice had laid them over). I told them they would be easy enough to see, but extra eyes would be helpful.

About three to five minutes outside the jetty, we felt a WHAM. My first thought was that I hit something. But instead, we had been hit from behind by another boat A 33 ft Grady White (with radar) ran smack dab into my outboard and slid off to do damage to my gelcoat on the transom.
I was amazed that it wasn't more damage. The engine cover needed replacing and about 9 inches of gelcoat work. I guess, because I was doing 17 and he was doing 27 (maybe); it was like he hit me at only 10mph. Add to that, a boat in the water moves forward when hit (not stationary like a car), and we were all very lucky.

Anyway, I got my new insurance premium bill for this coming year. Because I put in a claim, I no longer qualify for a special discount that I was getting. My old bill was for $695/year. The new bill is for $765/year. Now I realize that's only $70 more/year. But it pisses me off that My insurance rates went up due to someone else hitting me from behind and being at fault.
I'll spend $70 on a single fishing trip (ice, bait, gas, tackle); but it's the principle that has me ticked.
It's not financially efficient, but I'll spend $800 on a new insurance policy, just so I can call them and tell them to Kiss My A$$.

So here's what I need from you. What insurance company do you have? Have you ever put in a claim? How proficient were they in handling your claim? Are you still happy with your carrier?
I'm with BoatUS and never put in a claim in for over 30 years of boating. Even when my electronics were stolen, I placed a claim, but then the electronics were recovered, so my claim was withdrawn.

Again, I realize that $70 is not a big deal. I may be forced to stay with them if I can't find another carrier. I know some people have Charter Lakes and are happy. Who do you have and how happy are you?
5th