View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 06:48 AM

Well;
It can only get better I've been out 6 times (3 my boat, 3 friends boat) without as much as a touch. I've been in all kinds of water.
First saw marks down 60 ft (70 ft depth) when water was cold (low 40's). As temps increased, I marked some bait in 35-50 ft (with gannets flying or sitting).

Another trip took us into as shallow as 18 ft looking for those fish sometimes caught in the pound nets I figured warm water was either in 60 ft (bay hasn't "flipped") or in shallow water.

Last trip out bay proper was above 50*. We had 4 boats out searching. I decided to explore Easten Bay. It was a desert. The day was totally calm and I expected to see bait flipping on the surface. No birds, no bait, no rockfish

With bay temps now above 50* steadily, I figured more bait will be showing up (if it hasn't already been ground up for fish oil pills, fertilizer, and whatever else Omega sells it for).

Next Wed's long range forecast calls for light winds and temp's in the upper 60's to lower 70's; so I'll most likely be trying again.

So, I have a challenge for all CBA's. Mako Mike has NEVER seen a rockfish caught off planer boards. I've been trying for two years (PSCR or early Trophy season) to get the job done without success.

He's scheduled for surgery AGAIN in mid-late May; if you get a chance to have him jump onboard, contact him and show him how it's done

If I do anything Wed.; you can be sure a photo will be posted here

5th