View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
My bud and I disagreed on the definition of a fishing skunk. We looked for a day and a half without seeing any evidence of fish. I swear I smelled a foul odor on the boat. We did see porpoise and whales but no bait or stripers. On the third day we found the mother lode.

I say we suffered a nasty skunk--actually two. Mike said it was not a skunk because we did not wet a line. I cannot remember my last skunk but am quite sure it was in the Susky Flats either last year or the year before. The flats is famous for having skunks take over your boat if you fish only lures and flies and the water is cold and dirty. A skunk now and then makes the experience of a great day all the sweeter and lets you know you still have plenty to learn.
For me, if any fishing activity was performed it counts as a trip, and if no fish were caught it counts as a skunk. Exception - a brief amount of fishing activity was performed but halted due to natural conditions (i.e. wind), it is not a trip and no skunk. In other words, if 2 dumbasses go out in 20knot winds in an 18ft aluminum boat, get half way out there and decide it would be better not to do this, it's not a trip.