View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 10:37 AM

I see the end of the boat license in the very near future. As a couple people mentioned, it is nice that you can take whoever you want out and not worry about their having to get a license. We have become spoiled here in MD with that system. There are not many other places that offer that sort of license. Most places charters are exempt from individual licenses. For example, somebody told me that they needed a separate license to fish on a charter in Alaska.

I am honestly surprised that we don't already have a license for the Atlantic. I am honestly all for it. It would create revenue that DNR needs very badly. Don't sit back and ***** about faulty science when the few scientists that we do have working on the problem at a state level are taking furlough days. The sad reality is that we are getting what we pay for. Collecting good data is time consuming and expensive. The budget for DNR wasn't huge in the good times, and it is in pretty bad shape now.

My proposal:
A saltwater license that covers all of MD, not separate for Bay and coastal.
Eliminate the boat license.
Have reasonably priced 3 and 7 day non-resident options available.
Go to an annual license that is good for 12 months from the day you purchase it. Florida does this and it does encourage me to buy a 12 month license when I do get one.
Have a separate, higher priced crab license for non-residents.
If the money can be funneled to programs for a specific fishery, sell "stamps" for them. For example, a rock stamp (or maybe just a trophy rock stamp) to raise funds to help with the management of that fishery. Florida does this with snook and it seems to work out OK.

This would bring MD more in line with other places I fish.

I will climb down now before I hurt myself
Hans