View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 10:35 AM

Talking I became a better fisherman maybe?

:Not that I was good before but I became a better fisherman during my last trip. With work, thunder storms and the heat I have been staying close to home. Most of the trips I have been targeting / harassing white perch with an occasional small rock. Most of the time I have been using Grass Shrimp for bait, which perch love. The perch fishing has been phenomenal; I can’t recall a year that they have been this thick. Since I have caught my share of perch I decided to go strictly vertical jigging with metal or LTJ with soft plastics. The perch have been located on or near the bottom which is a good sign and shows that the dissolved oxygen content of the water is still good near the bottom. Depth ranged from 18’-22’. In the beginning of the year I was lucky enough to be shown the LTJ ropes on Rock. I never really understood the subtle nuisances of the presentation or the bite. The only time I caught fish LTJ was when a suicide fish would crash the lure. With the perch being so thick I figured why not give it a try. The perch definitely cooperated. The first thing I noticed was how many bite I was missing and what a bite was. I probably missed 10 or 15 taps to a hook set at first. I had so many swings and misses I must have looked like I was swatting flies. Most of the bites came on the fall and were extremely soft. At times an extremely sharp snap of the lure was needed to get a strike. I was using a soft plastic 1” crawl and a chartreuse mister twister on a ¼ oz head rigged Carolina style. The perch liked both but preferred the mister twister. The twister was also unanimously preferred by the undersize rock.
I also used a ½ once cripple herring lure Jensen for vertical presentation. Once again with more encounters with strikes from the perch I quickly realized what I was missing when targeting rock.

I always laughed at bass fisherman and how hard they would set a hook on a 1 or 2 lb fish. I now understand you can’t hesitate when you think you feel a bite.

Give the perch a try with the LTJ equipment they will give you a lesson. I was using a UL with 4lb test line which isn’t the perfect rod due to the slow reaction in the UL. Next time I will move to a rod with a faster action.

I think the perch gave me a valuable fishing lesson and may have give me the experience to land some more Rock with the LTJ.

Give it try gang the perch are thick.

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot

Last edited by Fish Nut; 07-16-2010 at 10:41 AM.