View Single Post
Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 AM

I Fish offshore and Bay. More Bay lately, I am very comfortable using crimps. I use crimp connections on all of my baits with 80lb leaders for spring Rockfish. It’s crucial to have the correct crimp for line diameter to achieve a proper crimp. I like how the crimp connection allows the bait to swim. However, I have seen no improvement in catch rate over crimped vs knot connection. With knots and crimp connections it is highly recommended that you re do the bait connection after a few fish. It’s Very important to change leaders if you feel any nick or abrasion in the line. I store my baits on the rod during the season and when moving rods in and out of storage it’s very easy for a barb or hook point to snag a leader. I use the P – Line crimp tools and have made many, many ,many connections with it. Nice quality tool. The only time I have lost a fish to failure has been my fault. Not changing a leader when I should have, or being lazy and not inspecting my equipment.
My procedure is to crimp on the bench or at the dock. On the water I use knots since it is quicker.

My three knots are:

Palomar
Uni to uni
Clinch knot

Good luck

PSG

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Contrary to rumors you have heard: I Fish A Lot. I Don’t Catch A Lot