View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Remember the guy who was caught in February with 18 Rockfish. Well, he went to court on Friday April 2nd. I thought it would be the 19th - as DNR trails are on 3rd Friday of the month. Here is what a friend sent me - I'll stand 100% behind it being true.

Charge No:
001Description:CATCH STRIPED BASS/CLOSED SEAS
Statute:
Description:
Amended Date:
CJIS Code:MO/PLL:Probable Cause:
Incident Date From:
To: Victim Age:
Disposition

Plea:
GUILTY
Disposition:
GUILTY
Disposition Date:
04/02/2013
Fine:$250.00Court Costs:$0.00CICF:$0.00
Amt Suspended:
Fine:$0.00Court Costs:$0.00CICF:$0.00
PBJ EndDate:
Probation End Date:Restitution Amount:$0.00
Jail Term:
Yrs:Mosays:
Suspended Term:
Yrs:Mosays:
Credit Time Served:

The $250.00 fine for 18 illegally taken ( poached ) Rockfish works out to $13.89 each. I was really hoping the judge would hammer this guy. I did some research on him - Joshua Alther. He works at a marina in Edgewater , Md that hosts a fall Rockfish tournament. Fairly safe bet he knows the rules / creel limit / seasons.

DNR vowed to get tough on poachers - in fact even have special court set up for them. Some how less then $14.00 a fish seems wrong. Whole Rock often sells for $5.00 a pound or more in stores. The way this fine is - cheaper to go poaching then buy them legally. Heck , a five pounder and you are ahead of the game.

I think next trip out - I'll throw an extra fish in the box. If caught - I'll just hand DNR $15.00 and tell them to keep the change.
I don't understand the mind set of expecting a judge to give the death penalty for catching to many fish, but thinking endangering people on the roads with illegal practices is ok.