View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 PM

Well; after a great day on Thurs. of last week, we went out looking to get a few pictures of some nice fish on Monday.

Those fish kicked our a$$.

We knew we had bait in 35-40 ft of water from previous trips. As we left Deale, we again found bait and slowed to drop lines. We did have one knockdown. Trolled the area for a bit longer, but Captain was in a hurry to get to the area we caught fish last week.
We knew the fish are moving. They are not staying in one area to feed, they want to spawn (remember your college days). We didn't expect the same fish to be there, but we had hoped that others coming in from the ocean had filled the void. We figured, if our fish Thurs. found that area and depth to their liking, others would too.
Unfortunately, we had no takers. I couldn't buy a fish in the Giant seafood section.
We will try again next week. Water temps are in the low 50's, and more hot weather is predicted for this Thurs and Friday (possibly 80*). I have no idea how many of the fish have already come in to spawn. Have 15% come in, and 85% are on their way? Or, have 85% come in and only 15% are left to come up?
If anyone lives close to a spawning river, and has seen evidance of spawning, or seen lots of rock in shallow water (3-4 ft), let us know. I remember some guys in kayaks last year that had spawning fish bumping into their yaks.
I can't believe most fish have gotten past us. I expect C/R to get better.

On a side note, it was a pleasure to have Captain Charlie Schneider on our boat for several trips. I always enjoy picking the brain of a good fisherman. He showed us a couple new knots and he had some tackle with him for the meeting last night at Broadneck MSSA. We expiramented with some of his spreader bars and eel tails in place of conventional umbrella's.
I find that being a mate is a continuous learning experience, and Charlie is a good one to learn from. Getting out on other peoples boats (or just phone calls) has also been a big asset to me. Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge.