View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 06:45 AM

Question Lowrance HDS-8/10 Questions: Features and Options

My old Humminbird Matrix-97 chart plotter is starting to have a lot of problems, and so I’m looking to move up to a new chart plotter with side scan capability. I’ve looked at the Lowrance HDS-8 and HDS-10, and they seemed packed with features and optional add-ons.

A lot of folks seem to like the Lowrance, but I’m not wedded to it. What I am looking for is a chart plotter/GPS/fish finder with the following features:

- Side Scan. This feature will be key for all styles of fishing from trolling, to jigging to bottom fishing.

- Display of tides for my locale in a “sine wave” format versus time. Every time I see one of these, it knocks my socks off. Seeing where you are on the tide is key.

- “Paddle wheel” water speed option. I want to be able to see my speed in the water and compare it to my GPS (land) speed to see how fast the current is for better control of my lures when I am pulling a trolling spread.

- Plus, I will want the usual features that were on my Matrix-97 such as charts with GPS coordinates, depth and water temperature displays.

Does anyone know if the Lowrance HDS-8/10 series offers the above features?

I want a unit by a reputable top name manufacturer, such as Lowrance, Humminbird, Garmin, or Raymarine. I am looking to purchase and install in February or March after I have save up a bit, but before spring rockfish season.

I would appreciate any constructive comments or recommendations.

Thanks

Don

Last edited by Rivercat09; 09-26-2011 at 07:00 AM.