View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
FWIW

I run 9' of 40 lb line off the planer to a ball-bearing swivel and then 9' of 20 lbs fluorocarbon to the spoon.

#1 planers off the back corners. One at 120'. One at 140'.

#2 planers out of the next rod holder forward. One at 90'. One at 80-100' depending on what feels lucky.

#3 planers out of the deep rod / letdown rod holders. One at 40'. One at 50'.

When a fish hits make sure you customers keep the rod tip high and crank fast. If they drop the rod tip suddenly or decided to take a break while cranking, the planer can reset itself. If that happens I just have them stick it in a rod holder and crank - 9 time out of 10 you will lose the fish when that happens.

When you are fishing flip planers and one trips you don't need to reel it in to reset it. Just hold the rod high with the tip straight up and then very quickly lower it and point it at the planer and snap it back up - most times that will reset it.

Funny side not about leader length - we were in a bird pile and things were fast and furious - One of the leaders got buggered up and just to get the bait back quickly, the guy mating for me cut it off above the swivel, retied the spoon with what was left of the leader - about 6' - and put it back out. Bang - 25" Mac hit it even with that short of a leader.

Look at you Have you already forgotten what it's like to run a small boat
That big wide transom (13-15 ft across) lets you run stuff a little differently than our 8'6'' boats.
I have to say, I hate long leaders. I only run long leaders off inline planers and or weighted surgical tubes (red hoses) when i have too. Inexperienced anglers and long leaders make for a bad combination
If I only separated my rods by 20 feet (your #1's) and possibly only 10 feet on your #2's (one at 90 and one at 80) while running 18 ft leaders (your 9+9); I would have a potential mess unless I never made a turn

That big Markley allows you more room for error. That's only one advantage you now hold over us "little" guys. Hope your season was a good one. I'm still looking forward to a ride on the "Lucky Strike"
5th