View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 04:38 PM

I have 80lbs Power Pro on the all rods on both my boat and the big boat.

If I had to do it all over again. I would put Hi-Vis 40lbs mono on all the board rods and 80lbs braid on the boat (deep) rods.

The reason I would like to change it is:

1. When it's rough out, the braid pops out of the clips too easy when the board hits a big wave and the tow line snaps tight, even when the clips are set on the "tight" setting. The larger diameter of the mono helps prevent pop-offs.

2. Board rods are going to get tangled at some point. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. Mono can be untangled for the most part - with braid, just get the scissors and start cutting.

3. The stretch of mono is much more forgiving for inexperienced anglers.

4. Hi-Vis so I can see the lines. These fish hit baits towed behind a big metal frame, you're not going to convince me yellow or green fishing line is going to scare them off.

4. I'd keep the braid on the deep, boat rods due to it's small diameter. Easier to get the baits deeper with less line out. I really like the new color-code Power Pro. It has changes color every 20ft and has a black mark every 5 feet. If I want a bait out 50 feet, I know or I can tell someone to let it "ten black marks" and I know it's out 50. It eliminates the "5 bar" guess work.

Last edited by Tawn; 01-21-2014 at 04:48 PM.