Thread: Really?
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
Dude, Brother, Fellow fishing person;
I was at all the meetings last fall/winter. I don't know how you could make this statement. Let's be honest, trolling was targeted by DNR (we harass the fish and drag them through the water). At every meeting, you had jigging professionals (Tom Hughs, Ritchie Gaines and several others) demanding "ONE ROD, ONE PERSON".
From your posts, I have great respect for you even though we have never met. I don't jig very much because of "tennis elbow", and because I've never put in the amount of time necessary to be good at it. I respect your type of fishing and get the fact that it is a lot more fun to bring in big fish on lighter tackle (which is why I love livelinning and bait fishing). I wish I could do more of it.
Trust me we "faught" for all we were worth to try to salvage the C/R season. We didn't want anyone to be negatively effected. We felt, and still do, that this was MOSTLY all a vendetta against a single person by the MCBA. I can't tell you how many times "trolling through a bird show with all 17 lines going down" was repeated.
And what do we have to show for it? Nothing but bad blood among brother fisherman. The charter captains didn't have a banner year with bookings. I suspect the YOY index will not show a huge increase in spawning. And Maryland looks like an ass among all other fishing states. What other state "restricts Catch and Release, while promoting Catch and Kill"?
I look forward to more posts by you, and I hope we are still "board buddies".
We need to stick together and save our resource!!!!
Best of luck to you this fall, bring in the big ones.
5th (Marty)
5th,
I have no problem with trollers. I have many friends who are charter captains and that is how they make their living. I have many friend who are recs and they love to fish that way and I have much respect for them as well (also for you). BUT, I don't like infighting among fishermen, be it Charter Captains and outboards, or outboard vs outboard. It is BS. And it is BS for people to try to bring others down with you, rather than work together to alleviate the problem. You were not one that I ever saw bash another method, and I do recognize your name from TF. But there are those who did. If you look deep into your soul you know I'm telling the truth

and seriously, the person that trolled through a gannet show with his entire spread is a major part of the problem and was a primary target from what I have heard 2nd hand and read on this board and the other. Unfortunate, but that is a topic for a whole other thread.

I agree with you too on Tom Hughes. As a light tackle guide, I truly believe he saw an opportunity to expand his market and used it in his favor. I believe everyone should be able to fish by any method they wish, and keep as many fish as are legally allowed, or release them all. There are many who preach "return fish over 40" yet they are out there every day of the year keeping limits of 18"-30" fish. This is the kind of stuff that will be used against outboards by the powers that be.

OK, I've spoken enough, I've said my piece. Noone has to agree with me, that is your right. But I won't post any more on conservation. The bad taste is in my mouth still, and this is a fishing board. You are welcome on my boat any time. I fish out of Breezy. Hope to see you on the water. I will tell you what, I trust you, I'll send you my next fishing report and you are welcome to do with it as you wish.