View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Now that I'm a bonafide jigger (which reminds me I still have to pick up my new SteveF rod); I can understand keeping certain spots as quiet as possible. I have a lot of learning to do to find areas that hold fish where I can jig them. However, the "secret spot" referred to here is far from secret. So now you have to factor into the equation the fact that it is "best" when only a few boats are working the same area. Engine noise, and other variables mean the "spot" can shut down if worked too hard.
But let's face it, most of us have our personal boats "winterized" and covered. If we get out, espescially with a guide, with someone who knows the area and the etiquette needed to successfully fish the area without negatively affecting the other boats, I would think we could post without endangering the "spot".
If I go with Pete this summer and we are successful, I will only say something like, "went to some islands on the eastern shore and tore them up". If I go with a private boat, I won't even go that far. I'll only say we had a great day jigging with Don.
Whenever I go on someone elses boat. I usually don't post at all. I let the captain post first and I will add a thank you or something like that to the post. If the captain wants to "burn" his spot, that's ok, but I will never burn his spot for him.
Even trolling on my own boat, I usually just give an area (like Bloody Point, or Love Point).
But I would say the area we are talking about is "famous" for holding fish in the winter. It's hard to "burn" a spot like that.
5th (Marty)