View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 06:20 AM

better late than never? i've struggled with some oxidized boats. usually winds up more or less the same - quickly returns to crappy looking. usually within 2 weeks, sometimes after 1st rain.

last go around i went with the 3m system, starting with their most aggressive for heavy oxidation and heavy-duty, high-speed polisher. it looked pretty good and i didn't need the fine cut finesse-it product. but 2 weeks later it wasn't looking nearly as nice. i would describe it as a disappointment for how much work i had done, but still an improvement overall.

my last boat, i relied on yearly polishing with 3m and just left it at that. for what it's worth, i think nearly all rubbing compounds include wax, silicone, etc to impress user.

there's also acrylic floor finish type products. sort of like the old 'Future' floor finish, a coat of acrylic is kind of like a clear coat of water-base paint, and only lasts a few weeks.

if you've done the polishing, you might try googling for more info about a product called 'penetrol'. it's a paint additive, a 'vehicle', for improving paint flow but it really does make old gelcoat color look pretty good. can buy it at home depot cheap. a little tricky polishing it back off but it brings out the color and shine. not sure how long it lasts. like i said - google around for more info about penetrol and old gelcoat.