View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 03:30 PM

Default Ask a favor concerning fishing conservation / politics

Hey all,

So I'm pretty much done with certain forums on "other" places as I can't take the political threads any more. Don't get me wrong, I want to know about issues, I want to be informed, and I want to take action when necessary to preserve my rights as a fisherman and a hunter. However, the over dramatics, blaming of groups that I associate myself with (I do graduate research on conserving and restoring headwater streams in Maryland), and propaganda type posts got to be too much for me. I found myself wasting too much time wading through BS to get to the real questions/issues so I stopped caring.

As a result, I suggest a gentleman's agreement when posting on political / conservation / fishing rights issues:

1) When applicable, please link any original legislation, rule-making, or other original text about the policies you agree and disagree with. Do not just post a press release without linking, in some way, to the original document. If you can't find it online, or it is not available, please say so. I like to make up my own mind.

2) Do not blame conservation, fishing, professional, or political groups with ideologies you disagree with without actual evidence that they proposed/supported the given rule changes, policies, etc. There are instances where groups are behind certain things, and I want to know that. However, I don't want to waste my time reading through page, after page, of who's to blame when all I care about is what the problem is and how to act on it.

3) Please limit the "propaganda" in posts and stick with facts. We are all smart, and we have the ability to understand issues without using catchy phrases with no real meaning. If you say my rights as a fisherman are being limited, you'll have my attention.

I value my time too much to waste it reading through opinions on motivations, political idealogy, and the sometimes blatant (and pointless) need to attack a random group for no other reason than the desire to blame them for everything you feel is wrong with the world. This happens from all sides.

Maybe I'm wrong, and feel free to disagree, but I feel like I would be more sympathetic and informed if people stuck to the topic and we (fisherman) stuck together.

and my hope is then...

this board will stay fishing focused and not become the bickering mess found "elsewhere".

Just my humble opinion.

Cheers,

bob