View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 PM

Thumbs up

Ok; the lowdown for Gary. As you remember, Rob (fish nut) took me out on his 25 Carolina Classic for my first Spanish trip last Saturday. Lots of fun and fish to boot. I need to try this.
Off to Marty's for some planers and drone lures. Two of my buddies who were at the last MSSA spanish presentation had the same idea. All of us bought "stuff" from Jim and couldn't wait to "wet" the lures.
On Tues. (24th) my buddy calls and says he needed some help taking out an "inexperienced" angler; could I lend a hand trolling for spanish. Absolutly.
When I met him at 5:30am Wed Morning; the young lady in the picture gets out of his truck. The morning is already off to a good start, as my buddy is as ugly as I am.
After launching at SP around 6, we head out and under the bay bridge. As we get past bouy 90, he turns the boat around and heads back to SP.
What's up. He says he left all his "new spanish" tackle in the truck.
Did I mention we don't fish with women very often
Off again, headed to "gum thickets". We arrive a little later than we wanted, so several charters were already "looking". We get the spread out while the young lady takes the helm. She did a great job avoiding the charters (she's a Nascar fan) at 6.5 to 7.5 mph.
We catch several blues, but spanish was on our minds (at least mine; I was convinced Mark had his mind elsewhere). Off to the mouth of Eastern Bay. Because our guest (Michelle) was new to fishing, we encouraged her to bring in as many fish as possible.
Our distracted captain, had to be told when I spotted breaking fish or bird activity. We caught several more nice size blues, but back in the drink for them. As we crossed deep water (100 ft) one of the rods bounces hard. Shelly graps the rod and brings in a 25 inch (citation) spanish mackeral.
Smiles all around the boat. We catch one more spanish before we head back to SP. On the way I convince Mark to stop at Mark Lagano's favorite picture taking spot for a photo. (Yes, her shirt is an OCC American Chopper Tee)
Everyone had a great day; I needed to get back out again tomorrow (Thurs).

Thursday story to follow in next post.
5th (Marty)