View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Chew, chew (cough) (cough), chew, chew, (cough)

Boy crow is hard to swallow. What a terrible day. Sat. morning started with a stronger than predicted wind, but not a big challenge for a 46 ft Markley. However, the scotty clips decided it was just a bit too strong and began poping on their own.
Now I have the option of rubberbands, but I figured if I just sink them a little deeper, the problem will be fixed. Good, now the clips are holding tight. Set both sides of the boat and begin to sit back and enjoy the sun in my face. We should have a fish on soon.
I hear a loud pop and think we have the "bubba" that all the MSSA guys are looking for. What the f^&*; the planer board line has snapped and all the rods on the starboard side are laying limp in the water and the planer board is floating away from the boat a steady clip.
Lucky for us this happened when their was no tournament going on and seven hundred boats were not on the bay. Oh; yes there was. I start realing in lines like crazy while the captain tries to get back to the floating board that is getting smaller and smaller.
We eventually get the board back and I feel sorry for the "mate" because he has a mess to deal with. Oh wait, that's me.
The crimp at the board must have weakened the line, because the snap was still attached (along with a slight pigtail of planer line).
I get that side back out and figure the other side was dropped down in the mud, so I reset the port side as well. We have pretty much lost the morning because we had a low tide at 9:30 am.
No sweat, after the tide change we will smoke them. Well we saw great marks and no hookups. Threw everything and anything at them, Raised the lures and dropped the lures. Added weight and took off weight. Nothing would entice them to bite.
Finally picked up a 38 inch fish for a 15 yo kid we had on the charter. But, it was the only one of the day.
We went from limiting out (even on two charter days), to lucky to get one today. Maybe the coldfront, maybe the boat traffic, maybe we missed the morning bite, but we sucked today.
Back at it tomorrow, hopefully with better luck.
5th (Marty)