View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 03:17 PM

Default Three mates and a Mike

Wet and rainy day so I'll post about last Saturday.

As you know, been in Japan, unable to get out. Got home late Thursday night. Looked on Friday and saw Sat. weather was going to be beautiful.
I had a few things to load on the boat and we planned a late leisurely start.

I met Tawn, Sonny (both mates out of Deale) and Mike at Chesapeake Beach around 1pm.
I had a few friends scattered across the bay from the CR buoy to the bay bridge. A quick phone call to a couple led me to believe they were not setting the world on fire. I told them I would check out a little farther south and we headed for the CP buoy looking for sign (bait and gannets).
Not much showed on the screen and no birds diving, but we did see some gannets flying and sitting. As we approached the CP buoy, I slowed to trolling speed and Tawn, Sonny, and Mike put out the spread. It sure is nice when you get told, "We got this, you just play with the pointy end of the boat"
Tawn set one side, Sonny set the other, and Mike pitched in where applicable.

Because it was a sunny afternoon, we put all six rods off the boards. Sonny wanted to know some of Captain Johns secrets. I told him that because I ran the back of the boat, they were my secrets I also told him I had a rig he probably never saw run before. When they pulled out my "six pack" that I had Rob build for me, he was interested to say the least. It has six nine inch teasers and a nine inch lure, which puts a lot of "thump" in the water. We ran one off each side closest to the board 8 bars back.
We dropped lines in the channel and headed toward the western shore. As I approached the channel edge (50 ft) the six pack on Tawn's side released. Mike grabbed the rod and brought in a nice 1st fish of the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (94.5 KB, 31 views)