Thread: Not more rain
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 07:08 AM

The debris got me
Jeff, I know why you you remain in your slip. I was out a couple of nights ago catching spot. Ran back to the slip and hit some debris. RPM's wavered a bit and boat ran OK back to slip.
Next fishing trip, ran to bridge, caught 8 nice fish (up to 32 inches). Tried to get on plane to come home, RRRRRRRR. Spun prop
We limped into SP at 2.8 mph and had the wife go get my truck from Jay's Marina (SHIPLEY'S). Took the crew back to my house (where the met me in morning). Hooked up trailer and drove back to SP where Jay was tending the boat. Loaded it on trailer, went back to marina, I had a spare prop, Jay put it on for me, ran boat, all is good.

I brought all my livelinning gear home (bait pen, rods, bait dip net, etc). Too much trouble to catch fish I have to go two times to catch enough bait for one fishing trip. So that amounts to three trips to the bridge (two for bait, one for actual fishing). Three chances to hit debris instead of one chance if I troll or jig.

I got lucky this time; not pushing it again.

What's out there is waterlogged and half submerged now. Hard to see running early morning or later in evening (my favorite times to fish in hot weather).

As a matter of fact, I had to instruct the crew to be on the lookout for birds or breaking fish as we ran to bridge at 6:15 am; because I had to keep my eyes on the water for debris. Normally, I'm searching the skyline for birds flying, scanning the water for slicks, etc.).
Can't do it now. Must remain focused on debris. When you get into a tideline, it's the worst. Then you have to immediately get out of it so you don't damage anything.

I've had enough rockfish for a while, maybe evening cruises are I'm my future for a couple more days
5th

p.s.
Thanks Jay for all your help and getting me back up and running in just a few hours. Not only did he change props, but I had a repair kit for the old damaged prop, and he now has that one ready for the next time I need a spare. Thanks bud