View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 PM

The Flounder season options had a decent discussion and a 3 motions before we passed a recommendation.

Last year we went over our TAC(Total Allowable Catch) by 23+%. Therefore, they reduce the TAC target for this year by at least 23+%

There were 5 options

Option 1 April 17 to September 21 3 @ 18.5 24.5%
Option 2 April 24 to September 24 3 @ 18.5 24.5%
Option 3 June 8 to October 30 3 @ 18.5 24.5%
Option 4 May 22 to October 16 3 @ 18.5 24.5%
Option 5 April 17 to Nov 22 3 @ 19.0 24.2%

I believe the first motion was to recommend #5. Motion made by Larry Coburn and seconded by Marty Gary. Richie Gaines did not support the motion and preferred 18.5" and explained that any situation when we are releasing a lot of flounder to get a keeper is not good b/c many get deep hooked.

We were told that C&R mortality is calculated into the options.

I felt that the long season afforded by #5 was desirable and did not see the 1/2" difference to be an issue.

I think the motion failed 4 to 6.

Another motion was made and then not seconded.

I believe we unanimously passed a motion for #2 w/ one abstention from Ed O'brien.

This is all my recollection of the voting and discussion. I will gladly let you all know when the minutes and transcripts are available.

Tom O'Connell explained his reasoning behind voting in favor of the ASMFC discussing a Coastal Commercial Striper Quota increase. He made a good case, and explained that MD's vote to support the discussion does not mean that MD will necessarily support a Quota increase. Again, the transcript will give you more insight into Tom's decision.

There was a fantastic presentation on River Herring and their plight in the Mid Atlantic. The Commission made a motion to recommend a harvest moratorium. The lion share of the commercial direct harvest(non bycatch) is done by 2 license holders w/ cast nets.

The MSA reform "March" and Flexibility act were discussed. Steve Earley did a great job of framing the issue and both Ed O'Brien and I shared some thoughts on the issue. Again, the transcript will allow you to read what was said.

Keep an eye on the SFAC website for updates. I will keep you all updated.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...sfacindex.html

-Dave Sikorski
CCA MD Rep. SFAC