Thread: Patapsco 11/9
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Skunked Again

My boat is named the Miss Adventure (came with that name - I think I hafta' change it).

My brother and I woke up early (for a Saturday) around 0530, hooked up the boat, grabbed coffee and headed to the ramp. Arrived at the community boat ramp to find the lock was frozen and my key wouldn't work. So we headed to a nearby marina/ramp a few miles away...

Launching at low tide at a strange ramp threw me off my game I guess, 'cause I didn't notice as my brother parked the truck and I warmed up my 2-stroke, that my stern line fell overboard.

After a few minutes admiring the beautiful sunrise, said brother unties the bow line, I reverse away from the dock and we're ready to go fishing... When I shift forward the motor dies - we drift silently in the creek. Put it in neutral, starts right up - shift forward and engine dies again. Repeat. Starts again, shift again, dies again. I assume (correctly) that the prop is fowled and try to raise the motor as I yell to my bro' to look at the prop.

Motor won't even raise, because the rope around the prop (still tied to my stern cleat) is too tight... So, my brother cuts is from the cleat while I cuss. Then I raise the motor, untangle the prop, and we're finally on our way. Just a typical trip aboard the Miss Adventure it seems...

We had lines in the water in the Patapsco at 0730. I hear a few guys on the radio saying they've got 2 fish (or 3) early in the morning but nothing for while. I trolled Brewerton Channel from 0730 'till 1130. A mixture of green/white bucktails/parachutes behind 6 oz / 14 oz and 18 oz trolling weights. Then switched to spoons behind 6 oz weights... Nothing worked - no hits.

My second season of many skunks. We can take the kids and catch many perch in the summer. But I can't seem to catch a Rockfish if my life depended on it...

Mike