Thread: NRP Question
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
So the weather is getting cooler. There aren't as many boats on the water. My VHF radio will reach farther because there's not as much "traffic" on the airwaves.
Do the Natural Resource Police monitor a channel?
The reason I ask is last night I was off Bodkin Point with the wife, a pizza, and and some jigging rods. It was such a beautiful night we just had to wet a line and watch the sun set.
The remains of the old lighthouse are still there and it's only 3-4 ft of water over rocks at the site. With last weeks heavy rain, a piece of lumber (pier) has gotten wedged right on top. When I first saw it, I thought it was a crab pot float, howevere, it was stationary. It sticks up about 8 inches on mid tide and only 2-3 inches on high.
I didn't want to call the coast guard, but thought if I could get a NRP officer on the radio, maybe he could lasso it and tow it in to shore.
Anyway, does anyone know if they monitor a channel or not?
5th (Marty)
Marty, If they feel like listening to the radio and probably not they would monitor 16. If you feel that something is dangerous enough to cause a navigation problem or accident, call the Coast Guard. Let them make the call to respond or not. Our eyes out there are an important tool for them and I'm sure they appreciate it. What a touching story of a pizza, a wife and a sunsetDid ya get any..........fish....Gary