View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 08:00 PM

Default No Facebook Account

Man; nobody has anything to say recently Are you keeping fishing reports "close to the heart"? Or, have fewer people been going out?

My boat sits outside my home waiting for me to return from my New England sailboat trip I leave Monday and will return in about 6 days. We never get an early start the morning of the trip. My 85 year old Pastor always has us running around provisioning the boat, getting ice, getting the dingy down from the shed, and doing other small odd jobs. Because of this, we don't make much ground that first day.
First day usually sees us traveling up the bay and cutting through the C&D Canal. Once through, we anchor up somewhere in the Delaware Bay for the first night. The second day has us running down the Delaware Bay and spending the night in Cape May N.J. They usually have a shark tournament either happening or just ending. It's fun to walk the marina's and look at all the sport fisher boats and the gear hanging off rigging We leave Cape May and head out to the ocean. We make a run up the coast, throw a hook out for a couple hours nap at Sandy Hook, and head into N.Y. harbor and up the East River (if the tide is right) and finally slip into a marina at Port Jefferson. That's a long leg !!
The rest of the trip is easy. Next port of call is New Haven Ct. By now, you can begin to feel the temperature change. Our next stop would be my destination, if it was my vacation. Block Island is a pleasure to investigate. We usually get in early enough to rent a couple of scooters and tour the island. We return to the boat, get showered/change clothes, and go have a great meal at a restaurant overlooking a harbor. The destination of Martha's Vineyard is the final leg. I have taken a tour buss as well as the "city" bus all over the island. I don't see the attraction. It's a little to touristy in some areas. A little to snobbish in others, and quite frankly, unfriendly over most of the island (my opinion).

On my first trip (this will be my fourth), my Pastor, who is very liberal politically, asked the other crew member and me if their was anything special we wanted to see. I said sure, "I want to see the bridge leading to Chappaquiddick where Ted Kennedy killed that girl (Mary Jo Kopechne)
Knowing how conservative I am, he thought I was being a smart ass. But I really did want to see it. We didn't get to cross the bridge, but there is a sightseeing area where you can look across from Martha's Vineyard and across to Chappaquiddick. So, I did get to see the bridge from a distance.

We head home the following day by train back to Baltimore. This year, I will be more concerned about the train ride back then the possibility of coastal storms on the way up I think I'll look for a seat on the last car.

Jason and Mlag, when I get back, I want to hear that the Spot have arrived, and they are easy to catch anywhere from the Bay Bridge south I expect Jeff to be pulling red hoses in our summer hole and passing info over to me. Bruce is responsible for checking out the grounds near Heart Miller Island. And Mike will be reporting how his new boat's air conditioning works!!!

You wouldn't have to sit through all this if I had a Facebook page. But with the inactivity on the board, at least you have something new to read

5th