View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 07:56 PM

Default 7/12/15 afternoon trolling

I try to stay away from weekend fishing, but with light winds and possibility of showers on Monday, I thought I'd jump out and try to pick up a couple of fish and scout the area above LP Buoy

Left the slip around 2:30 and a friend and I slipped across the bay. We spotted Chessie 27 working a little further east so I called to say I was going to drop lines west of him. I had four of 7 lines out when the longest rod started taking drag I put my friend on that rod (out 22 bars with a Captain John spreader and spoons). I ain't stupid
A nice 28 inch fish went in the box. This was going to be easy I got all the lines out and one of my deep rods (5 bars with 28 ozs) with a red hose started pulsing. No drag, but bending enough to have a 22 inch fish on the line.

We caught a few shorts (6) that would have been keepers last year. We needed one more fish for a successful trip (my buddy wanted two and I just needed one for fresh fish tomorrow
Jeff and I had stayed in touch and we were both marking fish that wouldn't bite. He called and suggested I run through a nice school of fish near a channel marker. I swung in behind him and picked up another 22 inch fish (thanks Jeff).

It was only 4:30 so we stayed out a little while longer looking for a true limit of fish. However, we lost our tide and enthusiasm. Called Jeff to say we were pulling rods and heading in to filet fish. As we ran north, we saw even more Deale Charters even further north!!

Fish are still there, but a lot of fish have been taken out of that area Once again, it looks like it's the only game in town. Not sure how much pressure they can take
5th
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1863.jpg (93.3 KB, 9 views)