View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Tuition View Post
See if you can follow me on this. I enjoy fishing/catching rockfish. I like being on the water, the sun rising, the birds diving, setting lines, and reeling in fish. I would like to repeat the seasons of the past where I could go out and be relatively sure we would put 8 to 10 fish in the boat. I run a 22 ft boat and usually fish three people. This lets my guests reel in three fish each and I may get two. For me, this is a good day. It's worth the time and effort (and cost) associated with running the boat. OFTEN, we will only bring home only one fish for my two guests. Who needs more meat than a 39 inch rock can provide? Beside, I would rather eat a 28 inch fish.
I enjoy taking many of my friends (who are rookies) fishing. If they can catch a couple fish each, they are excited. Many have never caught a fish that big. But this year was different (at least for me). I mostly fished with fellow anglers who realized this was a down year. If we rode around all day and got skunked, they understood. The rookies would ***** and complain about the cold or inactivity.
You are right, no one is stopping me from fishing. But who (or what) is keeping me from catching. This is partially what this thread is about. Is DNR managing the stock efficiently? Is the EPA doing enough to help clean up the bay? Is Omega Protien consuming too much of the forage fish? Are poachers (both rec and comm) doing too much damage? Is the MSSA proposal to reduce the quota from gillnetting a good start? I just received an email from the CCA stating they just met with the Governor, yet they didn't tell me what came out of the meeting (why not). Are the organizations that are supposed to be representing the rec. angler doing a good job? If DNR really believes the stock is in trouble (just the opposite of what they say in print), what might be the new restrictions to be imposed - planer board line length, slot limits, starting the season later to allow more spawning, any other ideas.
This is why the thread was started. I wanted to know what's the current thinking inside the DNR? If they aren't going to extend the season when less fish are caught, then when are they ever going to extend the season? If less fish were caught this year, why is that. Is it just because the guys I fish with are crappy fishermen, and we can only catch fish when there are enormous numbers of fish in the bay, or is something else going on?
Sorry to spoonfeed all these topics to the group; but Breakaway was having trouble understanding why the thread was posted and in which direction I had hoped it would travel.
I'm concerned about the stock, I was trying to get a feel of how others felt and what could be done to help increase it. Some feel the stock is in good shape and nothing needs to be done. That's ok too. It's an opinion I can respect, but I need to find out why you feel it is good shape.
I suspect that Red's is a comercial fisherman and I get a different perspective
each time he posts. Did he and other comm's have a banner year? I know the gillnet season was cut short by a couple days, how come?
Were the fish in the bay at the same numbers as last year, but they were CONCENTRATED to certain area's where the knowledge of their whereabouts lead to great fishing, and the rest of us just ran around in circles dragging baits.
Breakaway; if you want to contribute to the discussion, pick one of the above topics. Love your Judge, they are sweet rides.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
5th (Marty)

p.s. I'll gladly sit on the sidelines and not post such topics in the future. I just get frustrated when I log on and find nothing new to read either website. Someone else can take the lead. It's a long winter ahead. Go for it!
No. I didn't have a banner year, but I didn't have a bad year either. of course I didn't start fishing yesterday, either.

Maybe the CCA met with the Governor to propose that rec fishing be reserved for an elite few. Are they still advocating that?
I wouldn't think their greed would show again and be asking to cut out a user group.