View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34 AM

That's why it's called "FISHING" and not "CATCHING". You pays yo' money and takes yo' chances!
The facts are; fishing is cyclical, we have just gone through several of the best years of fishing in the mid bay area that I've ever seen (I've been fishing on the bay since the early 60's, BEFORE fish finders, side scan and the internet). I remember catching fish, bottom bouncing, on Dolly's Lump before it was marked, lining up pilings on the bridge and shore for references (oh, that was the OLD bridge, the new one wasn't there yet).I remember when catching a trophy (over 36") was a big deal and maybe 50 or so total, would be caught in the spring season (there wasn't any fall season). Immediately prior to the moratorium the limit was 5 - 15" fish/person. You had to be VERY good to catch any, let alone 5. Remember the first years after the moratorium? All of the mid 20" to low 30" fish you could catch, and EVERYBODY loaded their boats. Then we had several unbelievable years of fishing where chumming was the "in" thing - The Hill looked like a boat parking lot, and EVERYBODY loaded their boats. The last few years the larger fish were here in huge numbers in the Spring, countless new people got into the fishery spurred by the adundance of big fish and internet reports, and EVERYBODY loaded their boats. The big fish started making brief runs into the bay in the Fall, guess what, it was posted and EVERYBODY loaded their boats.
We could be entering into a "dip" in the cycle, it certainly happens based on adundant year classes and fishing pressure.
To answer one of your points - yes, there are a lot of crappy fishermen who have been catching because of the huge numbers of fish. When things get a little tougher those people won't be catching as many, or possibly any. A lot of them will complain and drop out of the fishery, some will try to increase their learning curve and become good fishermen. Some will realize when they're in the middle of the "good times" and be thankful they were there.
Another of your points - the commercial gill net season was closed for the rest of the year (on 12/9 I believe). It was closed because the remaining quota had been caught. Evidently there is a healthy population of fish available, or the quota wouldn't have been reached. The gill net season is Jan, Feb and Dec of the calendar year. If the quota is caught at any time - the season is over for the year. The other commercial gear types operate under the same rules and each have a separate quota. If the quota is reached early, the season is shut down.
It would be in the best interests of everyone involved if there was a valid system in place to keep track of the total recreational catch. Then, if their "target" wasn't reached there may be a justifiable reason to extend the season.

Last edited by Mikie; 12-18-2010 at 09:32 AM.