View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM

Reds and Mikie; thanks for your perspective. I'm one of the guys that came into the fishery when times were good. Bought a new boat in 2001 and have been on a learning curve ever since. Like most newcomers, every year was built on the season before. I started with maybe 4 trolling rods. Because fishing was so good, I kept buying more rods and tackle. Soon I was running planer boards and 15 rods. A great day for us was 12-15 fish (mostly C/R). An average day would be 8-10.
My tackle, my technique, and my electronics have been upgraded over the years to the point that they are way more than adequate.
Last fall, we were catching plenty of large fish right out of Sandy Point. After Dec. 1st, we had to move south to Chesapeake Beach; not to catch fish, but to avoid the gill nets strung across the bay near Thomas Point.
Over the winter, the new PSCR restrictions were put in place; and fishing stunk. The spring C/K season was no better. Everyone couldn't wait for the return of the big fish this fall. What happend to them?
It's puzzleing how in just a couple months (from Dec. 2009 to April 2010) the bottom could have dropped out.
I hope it is due to a fish cycle. I hope enough escape the Vir. Beach winter season to give us a good Spring in 2011.
5th (Marty)