View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Baldzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Kimbro View Post
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...mplicated.html

Here's a more comprehensive story about the boat that went down off NJ yesterday. It's a perfect example of how people will take risks when fishing time is limited. Yes, it was the end of the season for that part of the ocean, but they were fishing in rough conditions because they couldn't fish the next day. The principle is the same. People will take risks they shouldn't take when their time is limited. I hope this has the impact on the "limiting days" crowd that it's had on me. It's staggering.
Nice pull Shawn...the commissioners don't want to acknowledge this will happen, but it's gonna happen, and you are gonna see some small boats out in some real bad weather. Then when something happens and someone is hurt, or worse, killed, in today's society, the first thing they are going to do is hire a lawyer and sue those responsible for putting the regs in place. I don't believe these limited days will have any beneficial effect on the spawners, but I do believe they will have an adverse effect on some fishermen for just the reason you point out. Fishermen are a family, and I don't want to lose any family members over some BS regs!