View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM

Default Apparently I've been Jigging the Wrong way for years..

or have I ???

Question for you all....

I was fishing with two of the very best anglers on TF yesterday. A slack tide ended our fun for an hour or so. I started to "complain" about my right hand hurting for the past 18 months, after a day of jigging. Its not really my hand, but the stretch of skin below my thumb to my wrist. It tends to " rest" on my cork butt. This puzzled both anglers. They asked to show me how I hold my pole. I hold the reel seat between my pointer finger and index finger. Where as they both hold the reel seat between there pinky and ring finger. Quite a difference. The area of my hand resting on cork, doesn;t come into play with them. ( Ya probably have to get a pole out and try my way, and there way, to see what I mean)

So for the afternoon blitz, as awkward as it felt, I started doing it " the right way " It was like changing your golf grip. But I persevered and frankly my hand stopped bothering me.

So now I just have to change things up a bit, but I'm curious to find out how others hold there reel seat.

And for the sake of confusion, I'm speaking about a spinning reel, and not a manly baitcaster.

Last edited by Blakesdad; 06-15-2011 at 09:29 AM.